Friday, January 25, 2013

G.I. Jane!



How's it going everybody? This blog post is going to be a little bit more controversial than most.. Following the MLK holiday which represents the celebration of "equal rights," there has been something very interesting going on in the media. Apparently the Secretary of Defense has lifted the ban on women being able to serve in direct combat roles in the military!

The reason I feel the need to address this today is I feel it can directly impact people I know and care about. My stepfather is an Army infantry man, I have many friends, men and women, that serve in the military, and I have even given the idea of joining myself some decent consideration. So this current bit of news is rather shocking to me.

Women going onto the front-lines, with heavy guns, and bullets spraying in their direction. Who else does not see the harm that this drastic change in culture can expose many women to? I am an advocate for equal rights for all mankind and if there is an injustice I myself will support people who take action to correct that wrong. But in what way does going against the traditions passed down for centuries in protecting this countries female soldiers from additional harm help strengthen our military forces?

In no way is my disagreement with this decision related to the notions that "a woman can't do a mans job" or they are not capable of doing the same roles as a man. In fact I am convinced there are many women today that are overall stronger than a large majority of men, physically and mentally. 



What I just can't understand is how we are suggesting that mothers, daughters, grandmothers, sisters, the people that help keep our civilization thriving with the many contributions they make, be allowed to now go running into fire fights. This means that not only will the male to female ratio decline even further, but there will also be more cases of women coming home in wheelchairs, suffering from PTSD, and the many other terrible side affects of war that men had been willing to sacrifice and take on these burdens for themselves. 

If you are a woman that wants to go into a direct combat role, I'd love to hear why. I'd love to know why someone who has the benefit of additional safety would fight for a position in which they have a higher possibility to die in. I'd love to know the reason why you would fight to open up positions for your daughters and many other daughters of our nation, to decide that they would rather go into the battlefield, instead of use the exceptionally gifted brain they were given towards more tactically supporting roles. 

This is one of the downsides to freedom, while many have the freedom to choose life, there is also the option to choose death. If we now have women in our armed forces that no longer want men to take on the sacrifice of putting their lives directly in harms way, then so be it. But before we just celebrate this decision to lift this ban, let's just step back and consider what we are giving up. In a fight for justice and equality sometimes we can find literally anything to argue about and this is just another case of people just not knowing which battle to fight for...



All we can do is have hope that this decision will not damage society or our armed forces in the ways that many of us predict that it can... God bless our troops! 

Until next time, Adios.  



No comments:

Post a Comment